Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Minds Eye Hexagon Challenge

Hexagons are the biggest trend right now. I haven't had the opportunity to create anything with them yet so when I saw that My Minds Eye had a challenge to use hexagons this month I thought I'd give it a try.

Another big trend I see going on right now is to use the negative space left over when you make cuts on an electronic die cut machine. I have been wanting to try this as well, so I combined the two ideas into my challenge entry.

I didn't come up with this layout entirely on my own. I used a layout by Piradee Talvanna HERE as inspiration.

So with out further ado, here is my layout...


Here are some of the close up details...I added these chipboard bees from My Minds Eye's Alphabet Soup line....The word "happy" was cut from the Lyrical Letters cartridge on my Cricut.

I used a number of My Minds Eye paper lines to get the yellow's blues, and blacks and whites to fill in the hexagon shapes: Andrea Victoria, Miss Caroline Fiddlesticks & Dolled Up, Lost & Found 2 Sunshine, On the Bright Side, and Lime Twist Happy Go Lucky.

The fun brads from the My Minds Eye Lost & Found 2 line Sunshine worked great to add some finishing touches. You can see in this close up the dimension that is created by lifting up the hexagon diecut paper.

The die cut banner and brads and lable came from My Minds Eye as well. The little yellow word stickers are from Cosmo Cricket.


For those of you who might be unsure about how to use the negative space on your electronice die cut machines I thought I would show you how I created this layout.  I used my Cricut machine and Cricut Craftroom online so that I could get my hexigons exactly how I wanted them.  Here is a screen capture of what I did in CCR.

I made an 8x8 inch square for my first layer using the George and Basic Shapes cartridge. For the second layer I added the hexigon shape at 1.5" from Once Upon a Princess. I copied and pasted the shape multiple times and layed the shapes out evenly over the square below. I sent it to cut on my Cricut and made sure to set it to cut all of the layers at the same time.

Here is what my paper looked like once I cut it out.
I added the different patterned papers to the back of this piece and used dimensional adhesives to pop it all up on top of a 10x10" piece of white cardstock and then mounted the whole thing on to the yellow chevron paper. Finally I added the title, photo and embellishments.

I hope you like what you see and maybe learned a little something here today.

It makes my day to read your kind comments

Thanks for stopping by!
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment